With recent studies highlighting the negatives of consuming traditional milk, dairy alternatives like nut milks have become all the rage. Depending on the type of nut used in the making, nut milks offer a variety of health benefits as well as a host of nutrients for those seeking an alternative to generic dairy milks. They have been used to assist with anything from weight loss to boosting protein intake and can be altered depending on the nutrients needed. Natural flavouring can also be added to nut milks for a sweet treat!
To kick start your journey, we’ve put together a simple recipe you can make with just a few ingredients and a blender!
- 1 cup of raw, unsalted nuts (whichever type of nut your heart desires). You can use a variety of different nuts including pecans, walnuts and pralines. Listed are some benefits that specific nuts provide when made at home.
- Almond milk = when you are looking to decrease bloating
- Cashew milk = when you need a protein boost
- Hazelnut milk = when you want to treat yourself
- 2-3 cups of water for soaking
- Cold water if leaving overnight
- Hot water if only for 1-2 hours
- If you are making cashew milk soak for only 3 hours
- 4 cups of water for blending
- To begin, leave time for the nuts to soak in water for at least one hour; it is recommended to leave them overnight (the longer the better, because great things take time!)
- After the nuts have soaked, drain the water and add them into a blender with 4 cups of fresh water
- Blend well until the nuts have broken down
- Strain the nut milk using a nut milk bag or cheesecloth
- The nut milk is now ready to be jarred and refrigerated!
Using the recipe above will allow you to make fresh, homemade nut milk in minutes! If you are looking for something to sweeten up the already great taste of the milk, here are some wonderfully natural sweeteners that just so happen to be vegan, too!
- Agave nectar
- Date syrup
- Vanilla bean paste
- Maple syrup
If you are running low on time, stop by Sip and pick up one of our nutrient-packed fresh-pressed juices that are great to have in the fridge or to grab on the go!