Mornings are the foundation for your day, starting mornings off right ensures a productive and happy afternoon and evening. Here are 5 simple steps to cure the morning blues…
Step One: The Night Before
I’m not a morning person, so it’s taken some time to figure out what I need to get myself moving when I wake up. I’ve learned that if I have something I’m excited to wake up to it’s that much easier to get myself out of bed. Before I go to bed I prepare for my morning routine. I set out my Yerba Mate; lay out my clothes; arrange the work I need to get done that day; prepare my protein packed breakfast. This might seem excessive, but since I’ve started preparing my morning the night before, I’ve lowered my morning anxiety, become more productive throughout my day and am excited to get to work.
Step Two: GET SLEEP
Sleep, your body needs it and your brain needs it. I know that I want to believe I can function on very little sleep, but in reality sleep is what gives us energy. Everyone has different needs when it comes to rest, I’ve found my sweet spot is about 6-8 hours of sleep per night. When I get that time I wake up energized and feeling fresh. The other side to sleep is waking up. Instead of hitting snooze, because I already set up my morning, I auto pilot through my routine and by the time I get to my work, I’m wide awake.
Step Three: Breakfast
We’ve all heard the phrase “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. A great day is all about balance, balancing your body and your mind. Studies have shown that if coffee is replaced with alkalized water and protein your body will stay consistently energized throughout the day. I used to live on coffee, and I understand how hard it is to break the habit. I’ve found that by drinking a glass of lemon water and a cup of Yerba Mate tea, I get the energy I need without crashing later in the day. As for food, I’m rarely hungry when I wake u,p so I like to start my day with a smoothie. My favorite protein filled smoothie from Sip Organic Juice Bar is the Superbass.
- coconut water- Extremely hydrating. Promotes weight loss. Clears skin.
- coconut meat- Natural source of quick energy. Supports immune health. Contains anti aging properties.
- banana- Moderates blood sugar levels. Builds lean muscle. Contains mood-boosting B9.
- almond butter- Full of healthy fats and fiber. Filled with Vitamin E, which protects your cells from the damage of chemicals.
- cacao- Contains a mood improver, anandamide, that creates the feeling of euphoria. Balances mood and hormones. Creates energy and lowers fatigue.
- hemp protein- Has immune enhancing benefits. High amounts of protein. Rich in fiber.
- maca- Balances hormones and mood swings. Increases energy. Enhances memory.
- agave- A natural sweetener with a low glycemic index, so it is less likely to cause large increases in blood sugar levels.
Step Four: Motivate Your Mind
I like easing my mind into my work, and setting a mantra as the outline for my day. I find my mantra through whatever book I feel like I need that morning. I’ll read a few passages, or if I’m moving a little slower that day I will meditate for about 10-15 minutes.